Before getting into the details on “How to uninstall programs on Mac”, let us share a little bit of information on MAC that would facilitate a better understanding of the process.
Mac or Macintosh Computer- Think Different
The Macintosh ( popular as Mac) belongs to the family of personal computers designed, manufactured, and sold by Apple Inc. The original Macintosh was the first-ever mass-market personal computer that had a graphical user interface, built-in screen, and mouse.
Macs are capable of all the general functions as PCs, such as word processing, playing music and videos, games, accessing the internet, and more. Most features require different programs than those on a PC, however.
Apple Macs have several advantages over conventional PCs, and the quality of Macs is considered to be more stable and stylish. The Mac systems are optimized to work together, making MacBooks run more smoothly for the duration of their lifetime.
Why and how to uninstall programs on Mac
Apps are the necessary evils in our life today, and our PC’s or Mac’s are no exceptions.
While working on our Mac, we come across a lot of app ads on the computer screen offering us the solution to a problem or voluntarily, we want to try out the latest trends. We usually download an app on the Mac. Some time a new app is downloaded and installed on our Mac®, even without our knowledge.
What happens later is that your computer storage gets filled with more apps you download. Sometimes you may not even remember what apps you have installed on your computer. At times some older apps start giving error messages. That’s when you start wondering how to uninstall programs on mac.
The obvious solution is to delete these old apps, which are no longer required by you. That is why we have decided to put together the guidelines that will help you in figuring out how to uninstall programs on mac.
How to uninstall programs on Mac Sierra
Apple advises two formal ways of uninstalling any app on your Mac for solving how to uninstall programs on mac.
1. Using the Finder
Go to the “Finder” and click on the “Applications.”
Right-click on the specific app you want to uninstall and select “Move to Trash,” or drag and drop it in the Trash.
2. By using Launchpad
Deleting an app with the help of a launchpad is similar to deleting an app on the iPhone® or iPad®.
- Open the “Launchpad” either by pressing the F4 key on the keyboard, clicking the “Launchpad” icon on the Menu Bar, or moving five fingers collectively on the trackpad.
- Click on one particular application for several seconds until all the apps start shaking.
- Go to the app you like to delete and click on the “x” in the upper-left corner.
- Note: We can not uninstall all the app’s in this way.
How to uninstall the programs on Mac El Capitan
However, there may be few situations where the above-mentioned (by using Finder or Launchpad) two ways might not work, as the app’s preferences would remain on your Mac.
3. Use the”Uninstall Apps” in Parallels Toolbox for Mac.
The complete and comprehensive way to uninstall an app from your Mac with all its leftovers is available with the “Uninstall Apps” tool in Parallels® Toolbox for the Mac. It scans your hard drive and shows all applications and their files. The device can also show and remove leftover files related to applications that are installed firmly on your Mac. The process involves the following steps.
- Launch Parallels Toolbox and subsequently open “Uninstall Apps.”
- Visit the app you want to delete either by searching for it or scrolling down.
- Click “Uninstall,” and the app will be removed entirely.
How to uninstall programs on Mac properly
Any of the above methods, you choose, most apps would go directly in the Trash after removing them. You may either right-click on the Trash and select “Empty Trash,” or you can wait 30 days until the Trash is automatically emptied.
You cannot uninstall any built-in applications of your Mac with any of the three ways explained above. So, if you were looking for a way of how to uninstall programs on Mac that are in-built, then there is no way.
Q -1 How do you uninstall a program using the command prompt?
Please follow the process on your PC screen.
- Open CMD. Win button ->type CMD->enter.
- Type wmic.
- Type in the product get a name and then press Enter.
- Example of the command listed under this.
- After this, you would see the successful uninstallation of the program.
Q-2.How do I uninstall a program that won’t uninstall Windows 10?
When it comes to uninstalling a third-party application/program on Windows 10, all you require to follow the given flow chart.
- Open Start Menu.
- Search for the”add or remove programs“.
- Click on the given search result titled Add or remove programs.
- Look through the list of programs/applications installed on the PC and locate and right-click on the given program you like to uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall in the resulting context menu.
- Go through the uninstallation process by following onscreen instructions, and the program will be uninstalled.
Alternatively, you may follow the below option too.
- Open Start Menu.
- Click on the Settings.
- Click on the System.
- Click on the Apps & features on the left panel of the window.
- In the right panel, locate and click on the app you like to uninstall to select it.
- Click on the Uninstall.
- Click on the Uninstall button that now pops up.
Q-3 How do you fix you do not have sufficient access to uninstall?
At times you are tired of seeing the same that “ You don’t have sufficient access to uninstall a program error”. The best way out is to try and to get Administrator permissions. Another solution you can use the Registry Editor. However, you may follow the flow chart presented below.
- Try getting Administrator permissions.
- Use a quick third-party uninstaller.
- Use Registry Editor.
- Check if the uninstall path is showing correctly in your registry.
- Please install the latest version and then uninstall it.
- Turn off User Account Control.
Q-4.How do I uninstall a program as an administrator?
You may run the Control Panel as administrator by doing the following process.
- Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\control.exe.
- Right-click the shortcut you made and click the Properties, then click the Advanced button.
- Check the box for Run as Administrator.
- Navigate the installation directory of the application you want to remove. Locate the “uninstall “, right-click it, and choose Run as administrator from the menu. Follow all instructions on the screen to complete the uninstall process.
Q -5. How do I remove a program from the registry?
You may use the registry to remove Items from Install/Uninstall List.
To remove items from the install/uninstall list, you may follow the below process.
- Open the Registry Editor by selecting the Start, Run, typing regedit, and clicking OK.
- Navigate your way to the following Command HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
- In the left panel, with the Uninstall key expanded, right-click any item and select Delete. Click Yes to confirm, and that item is officially off the List.
- Repeat the steps for each item you’d like to remove, then close the Registry Editor.
Q-6.How do I empty my Mac cache?
There are shortcuts to make the process of clearing your Mac’s cache extremely fast and easy. You may follow the below procedure.
- First of all press shift-command-G with the Finder window open. 2. Enter the given command into the search box: ~/Library/Caches and
- Enter the command to open your cache folder.
- Click “Go.” It will bring you to the folder which contains all of your Mac’s cached files.
- Press Command-A to select all folders.
- Click command-delete.
- You’ll get a pop-up asking to confirm that you want to delete all of those files, and you’ll need to enter your Mac’s password to complete the action.
Q-7 When I try to uninstall a program it says please wait?
When you are getting the message Please wait Until the Current Program is Finished Uninstalling, This problem might be due to the Windows Explorer process. According to users, you might be able to fix the problem by merely restarting explorer.exe.
Q-8.How do I delete from Control Panel?
First of all, you remove Unwanted Control Panel Items CPL files. It lets you find the Control Panel items easier. Then right-click the item you want to move and click Delete.
Alternatively, you may undertake the below process from your Control Panel.
To do this, right-click the Start button and then click Control Panel. Go to the Programs and the Features (if your Control Panel is in Category view, go to Uninstall a Program). Find the program you like to uninstall, click it to select it, and then click Uninstall.
Need a solution?
We hope that our solutions on how to uninstall programs on Mac helped you and you have easily achieved your motive of uninstalling programs and useless apps. But in case you still have doubts about how to uninstall programs on Mac, you can always ask away in the comment section.
Also Read: How to download Facebook Videos for free