Getting gum stuck in the shoe is one of the most common incident that happen in our everyday life. Be it walking on the pathways or playing in the field, gum can stuck in your shoes anywhere. There are abundance of hacks on how to get gum off the shoes, not all of them are effective. So we have shortlisted some of the effective life hacks on how to get gum off the shoes, tried and tested.
So here are some steps to give knowledge about how to get gum off the shoes is:
- Use a Plastic Bag and freeze it:-
- Put the shoe in a plastic bag: Take your gum-ridden shoe & put it inside the plastic bag such as a grocery bag or food storage bag. It does not matter if the entire shoe doesn’t fit in the bag, assure that the part with the gum is pressed against the plastic.
- Press the plastic against the gum: Press the plastic bag rigidly against the piece of gum for several seconds. You need the gum to the plastic bag before the freezing.
- Put the shoe in the freezer: Put the shoes in the freezer by clearing a space in your freezer for the plastic-covered shoe. If the shoe is not getting fully inside the plastic bag, you may have to keep it away from the food items, to avoid spreading any germs.
- Leave the shoe in a freezer for an hour or two: It will gum the chance to freeze into the plastic bag. Once it is frozen, remove the shoe & bag from the freezer.
- Use WD-40 to remove the gum from the shoes:
- Spray the gum with WD-40 by getting a can of WD-40 available in the supermarkets, spray it on the sole of your shoe, on & around the gum. Let it be on for at least one minute to permit the WD-40 to loosen the gum adhering bond.
2. Wipe away the gum by using a paper towel, rag, or any cloth to wipe the gum away from the shoe. It should come quite easy now, if not then give the gum a second spray & try again.
3. Clean the sole of your shoe: Once the gum is removed, use a paper towel, clean rag to wipe the shoe again to remove the additional surplus left from the spray.
- Use sand & stick to remove the gum from shoes:
- Search a wooden stick & some dry sand: This method will work if you are outside & stepped on some fresh gum that is pretty elastic & soft. You need some dry sand & a small wooden stick.
- Sprinkle sand over the gum: Remove your shoes & sprinkle sand on the top of the gum. Use this thick to start rubbing the sand into the gum.
3. Continue to add more sand & keep rubbing: When the gum starts to come away, sprinkle the sand on top & continue rubbing. The sand acts like a desquamate for the bottom of your shoe.
1. How do you get smeared gum off shoes?
Following are the hacks of how to get gum off the shoes:-
Peanut Butter: Apply a generous amount of peanut butter to the sole of the shoe with a blunt-edged knife. Once the gum softens remove it with another spoon or knife and wash off the shoe immediately to remove remaining residue as well.
WD-40: If you want to get rid of gum, just spray WD40 and it will ease in scraping off the gum. It helps in softening the gum by reducing its temperature hereby making it easier to remove.
Freeze the shoe: Seal your shoe inside a Ziploc bag and place it inside the freezer for an hour or so. The gum hardens by keeping it inside the fridge and now you can just pull it up against your shoe. If you cannot have accessibility towards freezer you may apply an ice cube and wait for 15-20 mins
2. What can dissolve chewing gum?
Chewing gum is made of cross-linking polymers which gives them sticky characteristics.The best option is to dissolve the gum with vinegar solution. Vinegar can easily remove the dried and sticky gum from any tangible surface.
3. How do you remove gum that has been washed and dried?
You can use any solvent like rubbing alcohol, vinegar or olive oil to get rid of the chewing gum. You may try a heating and freeing method. When it sticks onto the clothes, it generally can be removed by freezing but if it gets stuck on the delicate and sensitive material you may heat it to make it more pliable.
4. Will rubbing alcohol remove gum?
YES, rubbing alcohol can dissolve non-polar compounds. It works by breaking the bonds and so it can be used for gum as well. Dab alcohol on the area with a sponge and let it dry. Then scrape it off gently with a knife from the surface. It does not leave any stain so it can be used on any delicate and sensitive surface.
5. How do you remove gum from your hair?
A wad of gum can stick on either side of your hair (towards the scalp or at the end). You can apply olive oil on your hair and it can be removed easily. You can also use Peanut Butter or hot water for the same purpose
6. Does vinegar remove gum?
Yes, Vinegar always comes to the rescue whenever you have to clean or remove any sticky substance including gum. Chewing gum can be stuck anywhere on your clothes, jeans, upholstery, carpets etc. Heat an apple cider vinegar in a microwave and apply it on the affected section. Afterwards, just scrub it with an old toothbrush.
So these are our top life hacks of how to get gum off the shoes. Though there are so many ways available on internet about the same hack, these are few of the easiest hacks on how to get gum off the shoes.
We hope that we’ve given you few of the ideas about how to get gum off the shoes using the materials available in your house.
Read More:- How does Sump Pump work?