Cutting laminate counter tops cannot happen in a gimmick. When you are installing a laminate countertop two things seem to happen. Firstly, the performed countertops will be moderately higher than the installed cabinet. Secondly, the walls at the back of the cabinet will be out of bowed or squared. Solving one or two problems needs little more than the little cutting.
Cutting laminate counter tops correctly ensures the brittle laminate covering doest, not chip or crack. During the cutting process, one bad move can destroy the whole length of the laminate countertop.
Cutting Laminate Counter tops to a length:
- Measure the length required for the countertop at various points with a tape measure while cutting laminate counter tops. Remember or write down the shortest measurement.
- Place a countertop on a table surface along with the laminate surface facing down. Tug the tape measure along with the countertop and put a pencil mark at the shortest measured length. Position the long leg of a framing square along with the length mark and press the short square leg tight to the forward edge of the countertop. Pull the pencil with the long square leg to mark a cut line.
- Line up the inside edge of a circular saw blade with the cut line, along with the edge of the blade facing the piece of countertop you are cutting off. Make a mark on the same side of the saw guard sitting inside the blade edge.
- Put a piece of 1 by 2-inch lumber on the countertop and in its top part with the 2-inch width settling flat on the countertop. Line up the one side of the lumber along the mark representing the guide of saw & keep the lumber out of the area between the guide mark & cut line.
- Dart four 1 ¼ – inch screws through the 1 by 2- inch board into the backside of the countertop with a screw gun. Fixed a shorter piece of 1 by 2- inch lumber to the countertop backlash by using the same location as the first piece of lumber.
- While cutting laminate counter tops, laze the saw guide on the side of the lumber. When holding the saw guide tight to the secured lumber, cut the countertop. Remove the lumber after the cut with the backsplash and countertop is completed.
Match Cut Back Of Countertop Top To Wall
- Put the laminate countertop on the top of its cabinet with its back facing the edge of the wall. Cover the back by 2 inches of the countertop with the masking tape as the first step for cutting laminate counter tops. Push the countertop towards the top right of the wall. Measure the distance between the front face of the cabinet and the front edge of the countertop.
- Regulate a scribing tool, the distance between the front of the countertop & the cabinet face. Grab the needle leg of the scribing tool against the wall to mark the cutting distance on the surface of the countertop.
- Remove the countertop from the cabinet.
- Advanced along the pencil mark with the belt to remove the excess material from the back edge of a countertop.
Cut Sink Opening
- Spot the center of the sink cabinet on the front of the laminate countertop.
- Line up the center of the sink template along with the center of the cabinet. Press the template into the surface of the countertop. Trace the sink template with a pencil.
- Put a length of 1 by 2- inch lumber over the template. Ensure that the lumber extends at least 2 inches past both sides of the templates. Run a 1 ¼ – inch screw along with the lumber into the surface of the countertop.
- Drill a ⅜ – inch hole at the corners of the template with a ⅜ – inch drill bit secured in the chuck of the drill.
- Place the masking tape around the traced outline of the template for the last step of cutting laminate counter tops. Slide the blade of the jigsaw into ⅜ hole- inch hole and cut along the marked line. When another drilled hole is reached then turn the jigsaw.
Things that you will require:
- Tape Measure
- Framing Square
- Circular saw
- 1 by 2- inch lumber
- 1 ¼- inch wood screws
- Screw Gum
- Belt sander with 220 grit sandpaper belt
- Masking Tape
- Scribing Tool
- Sink Template
- ⅜ inch drill bit
When drilling and cutting the laminate counter tops, don’t forget to wear safety glasses and work gloves.
- Best Countertop Materials
- Kitchen Countertops for Cheap
- Top 10 Kitchen Countertops
- Wilsonart Laminate
- Laminate Kitchen Countertops
- Kitchen Countertops Price
- Laminate Counter Sheets
- Affordable Kitchen Countertops.
That’s all from us folks! Don’t forget to take precautions while cutting laminate counter tops. If you faced any glitch are still having some queries regarding cutting laminate counter tops, then drop them in the comments below. We’ll reply to you instantly. Stay connected for more easy hacks. See you in our next article.
Read More:- How To Keep Ladybugs Out Of The House?